Governor’s Island is just yards away from downtown Manhattan. The island, however, doesn’t have people in residence. In fact, it’s only open to the public from May 1 – October 31.
What to do at Governor’s Island
- During the summer, there are arts festivals, concerts, performances and guided tours.
- You can rent a bike and go around the island.
- If you’re up for walking, you can also do it, too. You should be done strolling in two hours or less, depends how long you’d stop for selfies. 😀
- The island also has food carts. Don’t worry about getting hungry there. And oh yeah, you can do your picnic there, too!
- Visit museums and castles.
- Get a drink at Oyster Bar where the view of New York Skyline is right before you, unobstructed.
How to get to Governor’s Island. The easiest way to get there is to take a ferry from Maritime Building on 10 South Street. It’s right next to (on the left) the South Ferry Terminal. You can’t miss it.
How much is the fare/ticket? It’s cheap. It would only cost you $2 for a round trip.
New York Skyline From Governor’s Island
Planning to go to New York?
- New York is huge and there are many things to do there. So, you better grab a .
- You might like some of these ideas on what to do and see in New York.
- For hotels, you can .
- For those backpackers on a budget, you can book your hostels here.
- But, most of all, if you want to save money for sightseeing, you better have a CityPass in New York.